2019 was quite the year of ups and downs for me, and this blog fell into full neglect during it. I did not publish a single blog post in the entire year. That’s something I’d like to change in 2020, but I will get into that in another post because that’s not the focus right now.
So here’s what happened in 2019, in more-or-less chronological order, as bullets because I don’t want to get too bogged down in the details of everything.
- Started my first full-time job in Germany!
- Started officially dating my boyfriend. <3
- Had a falling out with my roommate at the time.
- Went to my first ever doctor’s appointment in Germany, with my Diabetologist. I cried, because she gave me every prescription I needed and I didn’t have to pay a copay afterwards.
- Filled my first prescription for Insulin in Germany. It cost only 10€. I cried for this, too.
- Flew back to the US for a weekend (yeah, that was kind of crazy to do) to attend a larp, Contera, in Missouri.
- My former roommate moved out, and two friends from California moved in with me temporarily while they apartment hunted for their own place in Berlin.
- Visited Switzerland & Liechtenstein for the first time.
- Visited Brazil (and mainland South America) for the first time to attend my younger brother’s wedding.
- Attended a work retreat with my entire company in Denmark.
- My friends who were staying with me temporarily got their own place and moved into it.
- Started looking for new roommates.
- Officially passed my trial period at work!
- Got my first ever tattoo, one I’ve been wanting to get for about 8 years.
- New roommates moved in mid-month.
- Attended EuroCon/TitanCon in Belfast with my boyfriend.
- Attended a larp called Dawnstone in England with my boyfriend.
- Joined a queer D&D group in Berlin.
- Came out on Facebook as bisexual, on Bi-Visibility Day. Probably one of the most difficult posts I’ve ever made on social media.
- One of my cats, Calluna, had major dental surgery which resulted in most of her teeth being removed. I was really worried about it, but she recovered really well and doesn’t seem to mind being mostly-toothless.
- I visited Estonia for the first time, staying with some larp friends who live in Tallinn.
- I went to Naples, Italy with my boyfriend for my 32nd birthday.
- Got my continuous glucose monitor upgraded to a Dexcom G6 (I was previously on the G5)!
- I spent the entire week of Halloween in Ireland & Northern Ireland, celebrating Samhain.
- Renewed my contract at work and applied for a new work visa.
- My mom visited me in Germany for the first time, for two weeks.
- I received my new insulin pump, a tubeless model called Omnipod, thus officially becoming a Wireless Cyborg™
- I also received my new work visa, and this time Germany gave me an extension of 3 years!
- I spent Christmas week with my boyfriend and his family, which was lovely despite me getting sick.
- Spent my first New Year’s Eve in Berlin (the last two years I’ve been in other countries!) and got to experience how crazy Germans are about fireworks.
As you can see, 2019 had a lot of ups-and-downs, and I just want to say that there are some additional downs I did not mention because they’re still too painful. (This is also why I’ve decided to do this post in bullet points and not go into details.) I am still working through some of the trauma I endured last year, and probably will be for a long time. Healing is not linear, and it’s okay to not be okay.
2018 also had a lot of ups and downs, making 2018 and 2019 probably the most stressful years of my life. I think they were so worth it, though, because I am very, very happy with where I am now at the start of 2020.
My hope for you all is that you can also look back on 2019 and see how strong you are and how much you’ve grown over the past year and be proud of where you are at now. We made it! Now it’s time to look ahead to all that the future holds.
This year I’ve participated in Helene in Between’s 2019 Review and Link Up, go check it out and add your link as well if you have a blog and have posted a 2019 review.